My whole family gathered around my dad, who was on his typical Saturday evening routine; He sat on a large brown leather chair watching “the game” and playing online poker on my lap top. The envelope waived in my mother’s hand like a flag. She held it excitedly. I held it for a second. She grabbed it from my hands and placed it in my father’s lap with a smile. He fumbled with the envelope. “It’s not the big envelope”, I said. “It looks full though”, my dad responded optimistically. After creating tension, he opened it. He looked at it for about five seconds, he mumbled something, and tossed the letter towards me. I didn’t get into USC.
I read the rejection letter twice. 9,200 transfer students applied and 75% of them were rejected. The average GPA of students admitted was a 3.7, which I had. I must admit that I was slightly disappointed for not getting in. I wanted to be the one doing the rejecting! LOL! I wasn’t going to accept their admission offer anyway. I feel it's fate. I’m meant to leave this house, this city, this reality. I’m destined for greater things... UC Berkeley is where it's at!
It's a world of difference between here (SoCal) and there (NorCal) ESPECIALLY in Berkeley. It's like the cultural capital! You'll be that much more of a well rounded person from being there. You'll learn from the education at school but you'll also learn from the surrounding cities. I guarantee you'll come back (if you even want too) a different person. Berkley isn't known to be a hippie town for nothing. You're a rebel for cause and you'll fit in well because of that!
ReplyDelete